[csw-maintainers] New catalog "unstrict"

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Sun Dec 14 11:00:34 CET 2008

On 13/12/08, 12:54:16, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote regarding
[csw-maintainers] New catalog "unstrict":

> I want to pick up the thread on a more open catalog
> ("unstrict/" or "open/") which is a superset of current/
> where it is not necessary to provide versions for all
> Solaris releases or sparc/x86. Being able to migrate
> freely between sparc and x86 and being able to upgrade
> Solaris versions for current/ I consider very important.
> The separate catalog should make clear that this strict
> policy is not valid when using the other catalog. That
> means "unstrict" contains all packages from current, but
> additional ones like cvsup, opera, tme etc.

"unstrict" isn't a word, I guess "lenient" is the closest although
perhaps "noncompliant" is what you mean.

It's a slippery slope.  The deal is that to share in the efforts of
others one has to make the effort to support others perhaps in areas
that are of no direct need to yourself.  The indirect need is that
your contribution become part of a wider entity that adds weight to
your own contribution and the whole.

Where there is a case for a particular package we should allow
asymmetry.  However there has to be a valid case, not just "it didn't
compile first time".  Example could be a tool to analyse Solaris
10 only features (zones, ZFS, dtrace) but take care that the depends
don't knock out otherwise useful packages.

James.