[csw-maintainers] large project: pkagdd/pkgrm open source package?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Dec 18 21:14:10 CET 2008

So.... Sun has some "issues" with pkgadd and pkgrm...
such as not fixing glaring bugs, like
having a "pkgadd -G" flag, but no "pkgrm -G" flag.

it would seem they have frozen out any changes; that is to say, not putting
any further resources into it.

but meanwhile, us folks out here still need to use it.

Is there any brave soul out there, with a LOT of time on their hands, who
might consider packaging up our own open-source versions of them, and
potentially fixing missing features, such as the -G flag?

While you were in the vicinity, you might also wish to fix things like
the stupid "if not root, then bail out" limit, so that we can
safely use pkgadd on a per-user area basis.

Supposedly, most if not all of it has finally been opened now.