[csw-maintainers] new build sparc: zooommm....

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sat Nov 1 09:35:26 CET 2008

Hi,

Am 31.10.2008 um 22:35 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:24:45PM +0100, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>>> If anyone has Solaris 8 x86 ISOs it should be possible to set that
>>> up in
>>> a VMWare instance on any machine.
>>
>> Unfortunately not, as ESX emulates only SCSI busses and there
>> is no driver for it in Solaris 8 x86.
>
> But perhaps there is a need for a solaris 8 driver for the *specific*
> scsi bus controller ESX provides.

That's what I meant. It was late yesterday :-P

Am 31.10.2008 um 23:30 schrieb Trygve Laugstøl:
>> Unfortunately not, as ESX emulates only SCSI busses and there
>> is no driver for it in Solaris 8 x86. If you have a solution
>> for this I'd virtualize it immediately.
>
> The latest release actually support Solaris 8.

Did you manage to run Solaris 8 x86 under VMware ESX 3.0.2 or 3.5?
If yes, I would like to know what SCSI driver you used.

> As you say, though, probably better to run under solaris 10 if that is
> an option.

That would only help 50% as library packages for 32 and 64 bit must
be compiled under Solaris 8 and 10 - we must have both in one farm
or you can't build lots of packages.