[csw-maintainers] Java... again!

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Nov 3 17:50:11 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 04:29:29PM +0100, Trygve Laugstøl wrote:
> What Debian and Ubuntu (and possibly others) do is that they have a
> package to create the Java packages. It take the downloaded bundle as
> input and give you a .deb out with generated dependency information. We
> (you) could start there as a starting point.

Contrariwise... solaris DOES SHIP with a java runtime!
So our "java package", could merely be some kind of user-updatable symlink
for /opt/csw/java, to point to /usr/java, for example.
Ideally, with some comments and hints in our readme about where to get the
latest updates, etc, etc.

there's a few varients on this. for example we could have
/opt/csw/bin/{jre,java} as symlinks or wrappers to somewhere....
etc, etc.