[csw-maintainers] ARCH=all packages

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Nov 11 22:31:35 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:13:04PM +0100, Peter Bonivart wrote:

> Some nice points there. Better yet would be if the release process
> would be shared between several (active, not spares) people to bring
> some democracy to this important process.

Meaning, you want to have someone else to push your package though, who
wont hold you to standards.

You claim you want democracy, when things arent going your way.
But here's the thing; Democracy is all about "the majority of people who
'vote'", and the majority of people who "voted" here today on the list,
were in favor of keeping ARCH=all free of arch specific binaries.
So if you TRUELY respected this democracy you claim you wanted, you would
say, "sorry, I was wrong; i'll go with the majority", and
strip out the binaries completely.

but it seems to be more about "not letting me 'score' a point" with you,
even though I dont give a toss about that:

> > So, Peter, would you please deliver two packages and
> > you, Phil, then release the combined package? ;-)
>
> I will do that because at this point it's the only way to get it
> released at all and I won't give Phil the pleasure of not having it
> released just to prove a point.

So anyway, I will be happy to push through your package once it no longer
violates standards.

Now, are you going to be an active opencsw maintainer, and update any of
your OTHER packages? Or just the one package that you wrote for the
purpose of trying to undermine me?

I'll point out that you have over 25 packages under your name, and many of
them appear to be out of date. Some are woefully out of date. Some only
somewhat out of date. But some of the ones out of date, are important ones:
 BIND, dhcp, mailscanner
Yet you are spending all your time on a package that we dont actually
"need" at the moment.