[csw-maintainers] ARCH=all packages

Trygve Laugstøl trygvel at opencsw.org
Wed Nov 12 14:06:54 CET 2008

Peter Bonivart wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Peter: Is it really that important to have one fat package
>> instead of two? An admin usually does know on which platform
>> he is on. Will the package be installed on NFS and would it
>> be run from sparc and i386 at the same time? I guess not.
>> So two packages won't hurt and would fully comply with the
>> OpenCSW standard without further discussion.
>
> I liked your idea with install classes but since that would also
> provide binaries for both sparc and i386 our self-appointed release
> dictator would block that too.
>
>> Phil: The standard is not clear here, regardless of what you
>> intended with it. The package does work and it is usually
>> the responsibility of the maintainer to build the package
>> in the best way he thinks. The release manager (you :-) can
>> give advice on improvements, but if the maintainer is
>> reluctant to implement them the package must be released.
>> Unless, of course, it violates the standard...
>
> Some nice points there. Better yet would be if the release process
> would be shared between several (active, not spares) people to bring
> some democracy to this important process. To be voted down by a
> majority is fine but having one man to write the standard, interpret
> the standard and even rewrite it to fit his means if necessary,
> singlehandedly control all releases and ruling in all matters overall
> is just wrong in a community that calls itself open. It should however
> be noted that said man of course protested against that name.

Come on. While he's still the only one he is at least discussing it in
public with the intention to come to a conclusion. One thing that has
happened since the fork are more discussions and openness (at least in
my opinion).

The situation is getting better, slowly. Moving and coordinating a big,
distributed crowd like us is a very slow process. Zurich will hopefully
define some ground rules, but we still have lots of kinks to work out.

--
Trygve