[csw-maintainers] mGAR will arrive soon

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Nov 21 17:46:25 CET 2008

Hi,

as you may have noticed I have begun transforming GAR to the
new mGAR (=modularized GAR) structure. This will allow

- building for multiple ISAs easily (like 32 and 64 bit)
- building packages with legacy libraries easily
   (several versions in one package)
- continous integration with Hudson
- easier transition between major GAR updates as this can
   be done on a per-package basis.
- dynamic prototypes to automatically split a software
   in multiple packages by rules
- later "source packages"

At some time in the near future the current trunk will be
deleted and from that point on work should be done against
the new mgar-tree. Feel free to work on trunk/ until then,
the changes should be easily mergable. I'll write up some
docs which explain how the old and new versions differ.