[csw-maintainers] Another cyclic dependency

Chad Harp harpchad at opencsw.org
Wed Apr 1 17:03:11 CEST 2009

An excerpt from the inconv docs:

After installing GNU libiconv for the first time, it is recommended to
recompile and reinstall GNU gettext, so that it can take advantage of
libiconv.

On systems other than GNU/Linux, the iconv program will be
internationalized only if GNU gettext has been built and installed
before GNU libiconv. This means that the first time GNU libiconv is
installed, we have a circular dependency between the GNU libiconv and
GNU gettext packages, which can be resolved by building and installing
either

     * first libiconv, then gettext, then libiconv again,

or (on systems supporting shared libraries, excluding AIX)

     * first gettext, then libiconv, then gettext again.

What a mess, so it seems it's intended and we have to live with it.  Can
the install utils support co-dependent packages and James suggested?