[csw-maintainers] Wanted: opensolaris python lovers

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Apr 1 22:42:23 CEST 2009

So... Anyone running opensolaris, in addition to the regular stuff?
Love python?

I'm thinking it would be a very good thing, if we offered an IPS option for
getting our packages.

However, the existing "automated converter mechanism" sun offers sucks. It totally
misses out on postinstall stuff. (among other drawbacks)

There is apparently a mechanism in IPS, called an "actuator", that
sounds to be a perfect way to trigger postinstall scripts.
Theree's just the small wrinkle, that the IPS team refuses to make people's
lives easier and saner by delivering a pre-written actuator for the task.

So, in the continuing spirit of us taking on what Sun is too short-sighted
to do... Would anyone be interested in augmenting the existing
SVR4-to-IPS converter, to deal with this as well?

Since all IPS related stuff is python, this person would need to have a
good familiarity with python, as well as running opensolaris somewhere.

The downside: a decent-sized chunk of work and responsability
The upside:   gobs of fame and glory ;-)