[csw-maintainers] bash_completion and modification of the version numbering scheme

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Wed Apr 8 14:52:40 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Yann Rouillard <yann at pleiades.fr.eu.org> wrote:
> Why pkgutil and pkg-get don't have the same way to compare package versions
> ? It wasn't supposed to be standard ?

I don't know how pkg-get does it, but for pkgutil we had a public
discussion on this list where James came with a suggestion and Dago
made a few changes if I remember correctly. I implemented it and I
have described it here in four rules:
http://pkgutil.wikidot.com/get-install-and-configure#toc7 (version
compare method).

The standard also hints about the REV-field becoming the standard way
of comparison for pkg-get, I assume it was written by Phil.

http://www.opencsw.org/standards/build#versioning

"Please note: the ",REV=YYYY.MM.DD" is now Mandatory. It provides a
fixed-format way of telling how recent the package really is, for
version comparison download purposes. At some point, it will be the
primary comparison key for pkg-get.(but not yet)"

--
/peter