[csw-maintainers] static libraries lib*.a in our packages

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Wed Apr 8 19:47:32 CEST 2009

I cannot recollect precisely if we already had this discussion. Phil and
me, we had an exchange on this subject and I would like to have the
opinion of the other fellow maintainers as our point of view are not
totally convergent.

The questions are:

1. Is a good practice for CSW packages to contain library archives of
   the form lib*.a when we deliver dynamic libraries lib*.so ?

2. What's the potential usage for such libraries?

3. Which mechanism do you use for not building (e.g. ./configure
   --disable-static) or to post-install (in the sense of after make install)
   remove them.

Thank you in advance for your answers and comments.
--
Peter