[csw-maintainers] static libraries lib*.a in our packages

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Wed Apr 8 20:11:52 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Wed Apr 08 14:01:50 -0400 2009:
> Occasionally, there may be benefits to making a static library for some
> software available for optional use. However, when and if the maintainer
> decides there is a benefit to providing a static lib, it is best to do so
> in a "devel" subpackage (unless the library is relatively small).
>
> Other folks, please add your thoughts to this :-)

This lines up with the Debian policy and sounds quite reasonable to
me.  You shouldn't need the .a file unless you're building something
against it anyway, so the dev package is a good spot for it.

To save others the google, here is the debian policy link:
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html#s-sharedlibs-static

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.