[csw-maintainers] off topic question about suntar

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Thu Apr 23 15:05:02 CEST 2009

Joerg Schilling wrote:

> Did you use the -E option to suntar?

Yes -E is being used, here is the command line. I'm forcing it to error
by setting LANG=C.

LANG=C /usr/bin/pfexec /usr/sbin/tar -cpE at bf 256 - -C
/snapshots/client_data . > file.tar
tar: invalid character in UTF-8 conversion of './luke�s.arf.gz'
tar: file (./luke�s.arf.gz): UTF-8 conversion failed.

> In this case and only in this case, the file names will be converted to UTF-8.
>
> Note that we did add the permission to also have untranslated filenames to the
> POSIX standard around 2004 in order to allow tar to be used as backup format.

This appears to be limited to Solaris 10 x86. I just tried this on SPARC
system and didn't get any errors. I'll have to submit a bug report.

Thanks

--
Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator