[csw-maintainers] packages names normalization (long)

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed Apr 29 18:39:55 CEST 2009

Hi Darin,

Am 29.04.2009 um 18:22 schrieb Darin Perusich:
> One thing I feel needs to be addressed is package naming consistency
> between PKGname and shortname. If the short name is soft_rt or soft-rt
> shouldn't the PKGname be CSWsoft_rt or CSWsoft-rt? There's no
> "technical" reason for this given my reading of the pkginfo manual.
> This
> lack of consistency makes searching for packages with pkginfo or
> listing
> /var/sadm/pkg a really hassle.
>
> A perfect example of this is openSSL or openSSH. The PKGname for the
> various component packages is CSWossl* or CSWossh*. One would kind of
> expect to the PKGname to be CSWopenssl_rt or CSWopenssh_client. I
> realize there are historical reasons for not changed this, I'm simply
> using this as examples.

The Sun "Standard" uses "-" as separator, so it would be more like
CSWopenssl-rt. However, some packages already use no separator like
CSWopensslrt.

I'm all for consistency, but as Phil correctly said changing package
names is kind of bad. If pkg-get/pkgutil were smart enough this *may*
be worked through, but I don't know if it is worth it.