[csw-maintainers] difference depend, REQUIRED_PKGS_

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Aug 4 18:00:47 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Dagobert Michelsen<dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Rupert,
>
> Am 04.08.2009 um 13:52 schrieb rupert THURNER:
>>
>> i am sure you once talked about it on the list, but i am not able to
>> find the reference any more, also
>> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/wiki/GAR%20Variable%20Reference
>> does not mention it. what is the difference when using:
>> * REQUIRED_PKGS_<xxx>
>
> These packages are put in the depend file of the package and are
> required during package installation.

I have a question about 'required' vs 'prerequisite'. Both words mean
the same thing. The difference in GAR is that there are build
dependencies and runtime dependencies. Most of the runtime
dependencies are build dependencies as well. Would it be hard to
replace REQUIRED_PKGS with RUNTIME_DEPS (or something similar) and
PREREQUISITE_PKGS with BUILD_DEPS? What if I prepared a giant change
replacing this in the whole code repository? :-)