[csw-maintainers] Migrating config files from /opt/csw/etc to /etc/opt/csw during package update

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Aug 24 21:08:35 CEST 2009

I think with this sort of thing, you have to consider the likelyhood of
breakage.

If the nature of the application/configuration is relatively
straightforward, and/or compatibility between the two versions is very
strong, then I think the best thing to do is an automated migration.

If on the other hand, breakage is very likely, then probably "halt and
prompt" is best.

An intermediate possibility, might be if the app has very good configuration
file verification.

Then you could do the automigration, VERIFY it, and then halt noisily if it
fails verification.

A post thought: in this case, I think you should always only copy; never
remove. Worse case, 'mv' old config to config.migrated or something.