[csw-maintainers] [csw-buildfarm] Problem with latest perl update

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Dec 4 10:45:57 CET 2009

Hi Ben,

Am 04.12.2009 um 03:21 schrieb Ben Walton:
> Excerpts from Dagobert Michelsen's message of Thu Dec 03 04:13:36
> -0500 2009:
>
>> Unfortunately some modules require the old line. I guess the only
>> viable solution until 5.10.1 is to not replace the build-in module
>> containing the file.
>
> What packages would that affect then?  If it was updated due to
> requests, presumably we're at a point where either choice will have
> negative impact on some packaging efforts?

Well, the problem was that some packages needed a more recent version
of MakeMaker then the one shipped with Perl 5.8.8. So we replaced
the MakeMaker version shipped with Perl 5.8.8 with a current version.
This fixes packages which needed an updated version of MakeMaker.
This new version seems to use an idiom not understood in all cases
by the old version of Perl causing some package using the old
idiom to break.

The idea is that Perl 5.10.1 already has an updated MakeMaker
shipped, which only uses supported idioms as it is tested
together with that Perl version.

At least this is how I understood what happened.