[csw-maintainers] Alternatives

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Mon Dec 7 18:48:09 CET 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon Dec 07 12:10:03 -0500 2009:

> 1. you havent spelled out how it would be used by a package, at pkgadd time.
>
> (please note that I explicitly used "pkgadd" there)

My suggestion here would be a CAS.  The action to take if no current
'altnernative' is in place is to use the default of the package being
provided.  A package installing a new 'alternative' that finds the
link existing already should NOTE this and carry on.

So, in the prototype, a file marked class cswalternative
/opt/csw/bin/sudo may or may not provide an actual file in the end.
At removal, if the target of the link is still there, the link itself
should be left in tact.

> 2. it should probably have some kind of csw-specific naming, rather
> than "update-alternatives"

That sounds reasonable, although I don't have anything better to offer
right now.

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.