[csw-maintainers] Alternatives

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Dec 7 19:14:53 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski's message of Mon Dec 07 12:36:27 -0500 2009:
>
>> Why should it?  It's not specific to CSW.  It can be used to use
>> alternatives from any package provider.
>
> No, I think Phil is right here.  As much as restricting ourselves to
> /opt/csw would also restrict overall usefulness, it's the only policy
> (in my current thinking) that wouldn't open a big nasty can of worms.
>
> It'd be great to replace /usr/lib/sendmail using these mechanisms, but
> if other packages aren't aware of the system, it really wouldn't help
> much anyway.

What if I have my own in-house built package?  It's going to use a
different installation prefix, and all will be custom.  It will depend
CSWalternatives and use it.

We would restrict ourselves to /opt/csw, but it doesn't mean that the
alternatives mechanism can be used only within /opt/csw, so it's not
CSW specific -- in the sense that you can use for any package you
want, CSW or not.  After all, it's just another program, which wasn't
even written with Solaris in mind, not to mention CSW.