[csw-maintainers] CSWcswclassutils: it wants to write in /usr

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Thu Dec 10 20:10:11 CET 2009

On 10/12/09, 17:25:33, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote regarding Re:
[csw-maintainers] CSWcswclassutils: it wants to write in /usr:

> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 4:08 AM, James Lee <james at opencsw.org> wrote:
> > On 10/12/09, 11:52:40, Gary Law <glaw at opencsw.org> wrote regarding Re:
> >
> >> OK, I don't think we should be using classutils then. It violates
> >> policy. [of writing to /usr]
> >> The 'workaround' is clunky for some, and impossible if you
> >> don't have root on the global zone.
> >
> > I support Gary.  I understand that classutils is clever and works
> > well in some situations but it's not a complete solution and therefor
> > we should look for something else.

> wow. I'm surprised you have that view, James.

> is this something you actually run into anywhere, or is this a purely
> abstract, "purity" level objection?

I have global root access but use zones to provide separation.  I have
stable production zones and test play zones.  I do not want the same
version packages in all zones, that includes classutils.   Admittedly
the classutils is passive until packages are changed so its update does
not affect running stability and hence I've tolerated this one exception.

There is the possibility that a later classutils won't be compatible with
older installed packages when they eventually require update and so I
object to the principle of requiring global installation and a common
version.

Sharing resources is a feature of zones so suggesting using root zones is
a poor workaround.  I want share the system and separate the /opt/ional
software.

> There is *NO* other solution that allows for this, while still using
> straight SVR4 pkgadd. You MUST use class action scripts, and they MUST
> go in /usr.

If I had the solution I'd have made a suggestion long ago.  I'm saying
although I haven't complained myself I do support anyone else for whom
it is an issue and I support the quest for an alternative.

It might be possible to use the existing build/sed classes and provide
developer tools that write the necessary code to work with those classes.
I make ghostscript, groff and some others to install the correct paper
size using request and the existing build class.  I've no idea if the
standard classes would work or if another technology is needed but as
long as CSW needs to write to /usr there is room for improvement.

James.