[csw-maintainers] CSWcswclassutils: it wants to write in /usr

Gary Law glaw at opencsw.org
Fri Dec 11 08:35:07 CET 2009

Hi

2009/12/10 Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org>:
> I have never understood this "I don't have root in the global
> zone"-issue. If you're only root in the sparse zone, why don't you
> just ask the global root to install cswclassutils? It's not like
> asking them to pollute the global zone with an Oracle installation,
> it's just a few shell scripts.
>
> In what situation could this not get done? I doubt much can be done at
> all at a company that can't provide that minor service.

If you're buying a Solaris VM service based on zones then it might not
be an option (which is the position for one of my machines). Or, if it
is, it might take a long time to get done. Not only that, if you are
in this position CSWcswclassutils will install (and fail, with a
partially installed error message) but dependent software will still
install (using pkg-get or pkgutil) and then not work. At the very
least CSWcswclassutils should test the writability of /usr, and bail
if it can't.

> Sorry for not being more understanding but if we're dropping support
> for an excellent feature I'm not going to work at replacing it.

I've just done a lot of work, and Maciej has done a lot more, getting
one of my packages in GAR. The package now doesn't start/stop on my
test rig which means it fails my tests. I was surprised that we're
writing in /usr and don't remember the robust debate on this channel
which I'm sure would have accompanied the proposal to start doing so.
I guess I wasn't paying attention that day.

Gary

glaw at opencsw.org