[csw-maintainers] Font packages

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Dec 13 00:09:47 CET 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Alexander Maier <amaier at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Am 31.03.2009 um 12:20 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski:
>
>> How do we go about adding font packages? Let's suppose I have a font
>> what I want to package. Let it be Terminus[1], for the sake of the
>> exercise. Can it be somehow integrated with Sun-provided X server in
>> Solaris 10? Are there established practices about including fonts in
>> OpenCSW?
>>

> I think one have to distinguish between fonts for "classic X apps" with
> local/remote xfs and fonts for apps using libfreetype/fontconfig (based on
> GTK or Qt).
>
> In the latter case I would suggest to put these fonts into
> /opt/csw/share/fonts (e.g. Microsoft TrueType fonts or Red Hat Liberation
> fonts).
>
> Terminus seems to be a classic X11/Motif font, so it would probably be
> better off somewhere below /opt/csw/X11 (as Phil has suggested).

Speaking of TTF fonts, is it possible to achieve the effect of making
the font package "just work"?  I mean that the fonts would just appear
in the font lists after installing a font package.

It works that way if one puts fonts into
/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType but the OpenCSW policy prohibits
putting anything there.  What is the least invasive way of going about
it?  Fiddling with configuration in /etc? (this would require X
restart for the change to take effect) Releasing an update to
fontconfig and adding a new fonts directory under /opt/csw?