[csw-maintainers] no one else who matters? (was CSWcswclassutils: it wants to write in /usr)

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Thu Dec 17 11:25:06 CET 2009

On 16/12/09, 19:20:04, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote regarding Re:
[csw-maintainers] no one else who matters? (was CSWcswclassutils: it
wants
to write in /usr):

> sparse zones usually share /usr from the global zone. However, no-one
> says they HAVE to.
> They can actually share /usr from somewhere else(whether that be a
> non-global zone, or somewhere else entirely)
> Similar for /opt, and  /opt/csw, if you want those shared rather than
> zone-local.

No one says I have to share /usr, or use zones, or use CSW, or use
Solaris - but I choose to.  Zones are good *because* they allow me to
share resources, suggesting I don't as a workaround is stupid.  Example:

$ zoneadm list -c | wc -l
      14
$ du -sh /usr
 5.7G   /usr

13 * 5.7G > 100% full, the only reason this system exists is because I
share /usr/.  I could buy 2 more hard drives but then I couldn't spend
the money on something else, and eventually the point comes when I can't
buy more kit, or anything else.

(If ZFS clones worked with live update it would be different.)

James.