[csw-maintainers] CSWcswclassutils: it wants to write in /usr

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Fri Dec 18 21:54:20 CET 2009

Peter Bonivart wrote on 10.12.2009 15:06:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Peter, did you experiment with the approach that we came up with during
>> summer camp? Put dummy CAS scripts in the package which hand over to the
>> real CAS scripts in /opt/csw/somewhere. This way we wouldn't need to
>> have our CAS scripts beneath /usr.
>
> No, I haven't had time to yet but if that approach works it's the only
> sane way to go if we're not to take a giant step backwards.
>
>> Does the user get prompted with "do you really want the package to do
>> things that you probably don't care about"?
>
> Yes.

Couldn't we simply ship pkgutil/pkg-get with a admin(4) file that
suppresses CAS warnings and then call pkgadd with it per default?

Then we could have:

- cswclassutils: Eventually move from /usr to /opt/csw/somewhere.
  While not all been packages have been converted, maintain the
  CAS twice for /usr and /opt/csw/somewhere.

- GAR: For each requested CAS "cswfoo", include a stub CAS
  {i,r}.cswfoo in the package which only hands over to
  /opt/csw/somehwere/{i,r}.cswfoo. Current packages need to be
  rebuilt, so that we can get rid of /usr eventually.

- pkg-get/pkgutil: On package installation call pkgadd with
  a admin file to suppress CAS prompts.

Sebastian