[csw-maintainers] Alternatives

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sat Dec 19 01:27:35 CET 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Fri Dec 18 17:44:17 -0500 2009:

> by that argument, you might say that me naming "pkg-get" as such, and
> not "apt-get", was just too confusing, because since the userland
> syntax is the same, and it IS a 90% clone of apt-get, I should have
> kept the name as apt-get.

The difference being pkg-get is an apt-get workalike.  The package
Maciej has put forward is the 'real deal[1].'

While the name used in Debian is long and annoying to type, even with
auto-completion, it's really not something you interact with often, if
at all.

So, my 'vote' is that if we don't do a ground up reimplementation, we
stick with the name from Debian.  If somebody wants to invest the time
tailoring a solution to CSW, pick a new name.

<wonders aloud>
Is anyone else out there not making use of auto-completion shell
features?  Life feels too short for that! :)
</wonders aloud>

-Ben

[1] It's the identical code/functionality split out from a larger
    Debian package.

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.