[csw-maintainers] debug output - all variables

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Mon Dec 21 13:18:49 CET 2009

* Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Am 21.12.2009 um 11:59 schrieb rupert THURNER:
> >is there a possibility to display all the defined variables for a
> >debug output?
>
> No, you can only output specific variables where the names of the
> variables
> must be known.
>
> >i find it particularly difficult to see through all the
> >variables used in the subversion makefile. just to give you some
> >randomly picked out examples which finally makes then libsvn_ra_dav go
> >into /opt/csw/lib instead of /opt/csw/lib/svn.
> >
> >$(libdir)
> >$(SVNLIB)
> >$(DESTDIR)
> >$(prefix)
> >$(WORKDIR)
>
> Ok, so you want to print out basically the values for the variables in
> gar.conf.mk
> or the GAR variable reference, right?
>
> >SVNLIB = $(prefix)/lib/svn
> >
> >CONFIGURE_ARGS  = $(DIRPATHS) --libdir=$(SVNLIB) --libexecdir=$
> >(SVNLIB)
> >
> >fix-ra_dav:
> >   @# libsvn_ra_dav-1* has been renamed to libsvn_ra_neon-1*
> >   @# in the new versions of subversion,
> >   @# we need to link for backward compatability
> >   @(gln -s $(DESTDIR)$(libdir)/libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0.0.0 \
> >       $(DESTDIR)$(libdir)/libsvn_ra_dav-1.so.0)
> >   @(gln -s $(DESTDIR)$(libdir)/libsvn_ra_neon-1.so.0.0.0 \
> >       $(DESTDIR)$(libdir)/libsvn_ra_dav-1.so)
> >   @$(MAKECOOKIE)
>
> This does not work as you don't change the libdir variable. You could do
>   libdir_install = $(prefix)/lib/svn

It doesn't really answer your question, but as a general rule of thumb:
what I found to be helpful (not only when it comes to debugging) is to
just drop the @ signs in front of the command lines. This way, you can
at least see right away how variables expand when each command is
called. Nowadays, I only leave the @ in front of $(MAKECOOKIE).

Sebastian