[csw-maintainers] CSWcswclassutils: it wants to write in /usr

Gary Law glaw at opencsw.org
Mon Dec 21 22:27:02 CET 2009

All

We seem to be stuck here with a choice, and to avoid lots of quoting
I'll summarise:

1) Use CSWcswclassutils and stop those with read-only /usr using our packages;

2) Migrate away from CSWcswclassutils and build another mechanism
that's similar.

Primary problem with (1) is it rules out using CSW packages on a
significant number of machines which have read-only /usr. I'd call
that a major issue, a showstopper bug in the case of the package I'm
trying to get into GAR.

Primary problem with (2) is that we might end up having users have to
answer 'yes' to postinstall script questions if they don't have the
right sort of admin file set up. Minor issue IMHO.

I'd say the benefits of fixing (1) massively outweigh the disbenefits
of (2). Thoughts?

Gary
glaw at opencsw.org