[csw-maintainers] submitpkg in cswutils-1.14.5

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Dec 21 22:28:33 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
> oh let's NOT include all svn messages please.
> too much information potentially

I'll first explain why I was thinking of including them.  I'm aiming
at automating all the bits that don't absolutely require human
intervention.  I assume that as the release manager, you would like to
know what has changed since the last release.  Compiling a list of
commit messages can provide a nice chronological description of
changes made to the package.  In the future one might envision an
automated system in which the maintainer doesn't write an e-mail, but
simply states the decision "I want X to be submitted for release" and
the rest pf the process, up to the point when the release candidate
files are presented to the release manager, is automated.  I think
that the rest of the crew has a similar vision, please chime in.

Since it's impossible to write such a system in one go, I'm working on
small bits, and making the commit messages part of the process was one
of the things I wanted to do.

If you don't care about any sort of comments about the submitted
files, we can skip over this functionality, no problem.  It was my
intuition that you'd want them.  There could also be a different
solution in which there would be an optional view with the details.
E-mail is not suited for that, unfortunately.

Perhaps there could be a generated link associated with each piece of
software, showing the differences between the build files, such as:
http://tinyurl.com/ygvbh7v (A side note: this would be build-system
independent.  The only requirement would be for the software in
question to point at the URL from which it was built and provide the
revision number.)

What do you think?