[csw-maintainers] CSWcswclassutils: it wants to write in /usr

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Dec 22 16:35:48 CET 2009

On Monday, December 21, 2009, Gary Law <glaw at opencsw.org> wrote:

> 1) Use CSWcswclassutils and stop those with read-only /usr using our packages;
>

> Primary problem with (1) is it rules out using CSW packages on a
> significant number of machines which have read-only /usr. I'd call
> that a major issue, a showstopper bug in the case of the package I'm
> trying to get into GAR.

I'd say that you are overestimating this "significant number". nor is
it usually a "showstopper"

First of all, most places that have "read only usr" still have
mechanisms for needed updates.
Secondly, there are direct workarounds even for difficult cases, as I
have pointed out.
Thirdly, there are sometimes Indirect workarounds.
for example, Rupert has found a workarounds in his situation I believe.

lastly; this is not our Only deployment into /usr.
We deploy under /opt/csw , except when the nature of solaris requires
us to deploy in a specific location elsewhere. For example, our
dtlogin integration packages, which deploy under /usr/dt