[csw-maintainers] python question

Mike Watters mwatters at opencsw.org
Thu Feb 5 18:25:33 CET 2009

Ben Walton wrote:
> Excerpts from Mike Watters's message of Thu Feb 05 12:00:35 -0500 2009:
>> I agree with Chad. we should have it all in one recipe in gar.
>> as far as when python3k becomes "python" that is a question there is no
>> clear answer to.  python3k is a complete re-write of python and very
>> little, if any, 2.X code will run on 3k.
>
> But if 2.6 breaks lots of code too, making it the default could be
> problematic.  Does it have a 'behave like python < 2.6' flag?  If so,
> then that could work too.
>
>> I would say we would be looking at "reviewing" the need for 2.x at a
>> minimum of a year after the python 2.X branch is terminated.
>
> Yah, from what I read, there isn't a huge uptake of 3k yet...there
> should be lots of time to see how this shapes up and make a good
> decision when the time comes.
>
> -Ben

According to the Python folks 2.6.1 "does not" break existing code.
it will shoot warnings about the deprecated code being used but there is
a flag that can turn the warnings on and off

The following is an excerpt from the python page about python 2.6.1

- --- Begin Quote ---  http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.6.html