[csw-maintainers] Security alerts and updates

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Feb 5 22:52:11 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:42:11PM +0100, William Bonnet wrote:
> Hi
>

> >> Should we set up a system to send security alerts ? a mailing list ? a
> >> rss feed ?
> > it's called "the announce list"
>
> I'm not really sure it is "enough" from a user point of view. I think it
> is important to find easily this kind of information on the web site for
> a user.

ok, so we need to publicise the announce list more?

> Moreover, the channel we use to send information is not the only point.
> It is easy to send the same announce to the list, to a blog (worpress
> allow posting from smtp) and to a rss feed.

true.

> But... my question is (blaming no one don't worry) how long since we
> last add a security announce on that list ?

how long has it been since we needed a security update?

the answer to both questions, is about the same I think.
a long time.

we dont do 'security only' updates very often.

> My point is not necessarily to change it, but to make it clear for
> users, to give them a easy access to this information. Some one who
> comes to the site should find the security alerts or where are the
> security alert in a minimal number of "mouse clicks" IMHO

please remember that, while having lots of information is potentialy good;
having a very cluttered top page, is bad.

in some ways, users are best protected from "security issues" by simply
always running the latest released versions of the packages they have
installed.