[csw-maintainers] Creation of users and groups added to cswclassutils

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Mon Feb 9 22:15:25 CET 2009

Peter Bonivart wrote:
> I have added scripts to consistently add users and groups in your
> packages. Many packages that only use pre/post scripts for that reason
> can be simplified and the users will not get the annoying prompt about
> running scripts during install/remove.
>
> You provide a simple text file as input to the scripts, it looks
> basically like the passwd file.
>
> user:group:gcos:dir:shell
>
> It can also remove the same users/groups but since this can be a bad
> thing it's not default, the user can opt in by adding remove_ug=yes in
> csw.conf.
>
> I have started to write a little about it on the wiki:
> http://wiki.opencsw.org/cswclassutils-package. Please check out the
> section about "ug" and tell me what you think. Do you need more
> features and how to balance features/simplicity?

Fantastic, just what i was looking for yesterday.

With the suggested pathname of /etc/opt/csw/[pkgname]/cswug path, the
user account files are IMHO rather visible to the user, although a user
doesn't need to interact with these files.

What would you think about placing them somewhere more "hidden"?
/opt/csw/share/cwug/[pkgname] or /var/opt/csw/... come to my mind. Just
a suggestion though.

> Tomorrow I will update cswclassutils with these scripts and put it in
> testing so you can try it with your packages.

Looking forward to it.

Sebastian