[csw-maintainers] question of /etc/opt/csw policy

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Feb 10 18:41:20 CET 2009

hi folks,

thought i would pull this issue out, for those people who may be ignoring
the 'class' discussion ;-)
This is a recap of a part of an email i wrote in that thread, requesting
further discussion from folks.

In thinking about the class action handling for zones, it occurred to me
that we have a potential problem, with package compatibility for zones.

Generally speaking, we want configuration files to live in /etc/opt,
for machine-local configuration.
This is still a Good Thing; no issues there.

The problem comes if a maintainer decides to DISTRIBUTE packaged files
directly in /etc/opt/csw, rather than auto-generate post installation.

Typically, /etc/opt/csw is specific to each zone. but /opt/csw may be
shared read-only to each zone.
That means that zones would be missing configuration files distributed
with "f none /etc/opt/csw/XXXX" from the global zone, even though they
would have the rest of the package files ok.

So, I am thinking of adjusting policy, to explicitly NOT ALLOW
/etc/opt/csw entries in the prototype file any more. maintainers will
need to copy/autogenerate from templates in /opt/csw/etc, to
/etc/opt/csw, if that sort of thing is needed.

Comments?