[csw-maintainers] Python Versioning

Mike Watters mwatters at opencsw.org
Wed Feb 11 20:21:00 CET 2009

I am packaging up an new version of Python, and while going through the
packages dependency's, I have noticed several packages that are using
very old versions.  Looking at the upstream sites for those packages, I
don't see a reason we could not upgrade to a more stable and secure
version of python.

That said...

I would like to propose setting up Python the same as PHP
using prefixes for the modules i.e. 'php4- and php5-'

Prefix the Python modules with py2- and py3k-

If someone has a better way to deal with multiple versions, Please don't
hesitate to shout out.  Just like PHP 4->5, Python 2->3k is a complete
re-write and we need to distinguish the packages clearly for the end users.

NOTE: The prefix change should NOT be used for apps that merely link to
libpythonXX.  i.e. openoffice and bittorrent Those should note the
requirement appropriately in the package description for the users.

I have a quick breakdown of packages that are dependent on Python and
their active owners below.  I will re do the ones that are marked
retired unless someone else speaks up and asks to take charge of those.

Any one below that does not have the time or no longer wants to maintain
the package, let me know and I will rebuild those as well.
There are some packages that are marked Test OK those worked without
issue on the new version but they should be recompiled to point to the
new package.

My testing done on a V490 inside a solaris 8 zone

Philip Brown
    bittorrent  Test Ok

Damjan Perenic
    sip      2.1

Murray Jensen
	pilotlink
	skencil
	pymxbase
	pil
	pyxml
	renderpm
	reportlab
	pypgsql

Josh Buysse
    py_xmlobject  2.3
	py_ldap

Peter Felecan
    plucker 2.3

Alessio Cervellin
    zope

James Lee
    fetchmailconf
    openoffice*  Test OK
    ooocore  Test OK

Trygve Laugstol
    mercurial

Eric Enright
    pyeyed3  2.3

Dagobert Michelsen
    pylibxml2

Chad Harp
    pylibxslt
    pidgin  Test OK

Ben Walton
    asciidoc Test OK

retired
    pyorbit
    gnome_python
    pysqlite2
    pysvn
    xchat_py  Test OK
    pymysql
    wesnoth
    ap2_modpython
    trac
    pyclearsilver
    pysetuptools
    pydocutils
    silvercity

ME
    python_tk  Test OK  part of python2.6 already
    idle  Test OK  part of python2.6 already

- --

Thanks,
Mike

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex,
and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage --
to move in the opposite direction."

* Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955
    US German-born Theoretical Physicist