[csw-maintainers] java package comment

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Feb 17 19:10:53 CET 2009

BTW: since sun is being braindead about the java redistribution thing,
i'd like to make a proposal;

we previously had the concept generally agreed upon, that we would have a
virtual package CSWjava, that would theoretically point to the most
up to date package of "ours".

Until such time as sun wakes up, i'd like to propose that we have an even
more general case "CSWjava" package, that installs wrapper scripts to
/opt/csw/bin/{java,jre}, and that auto-detects any installed java packages,
and attempts to invoke the latest.

and/or reads config files to override defaults and go with sysadmin
preference of default.

That way, we can have our java related packages depend on "java", and
then have a "known" java runtime location, as much as possible.
Dago, how about it?