[csw-maintainers] New in testing/: ncurses 5.7

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Thu Jan 8 18:17:23 CET 2009

Philip Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 02:06:50PM +0100, Sebastian Kayser wrote:
>>> After reading the bug report I get the impression that the
>>> Solaris implementation of xterm is missing the necessary
>>> control character support. Modifying the xterm spec would
>>> be bad, as http://opencsw.org/packages/xterm supports the
>>> sequence.
>> Mhh, how then would you prevent issues as the one being described in the
>> bug report? If you leave the capabilities in the xterm terminfo file
>> provided with CSWncurses, applications linked against CSWncurses running
>> in a Solaris xterm are prone to mess up the display.
>
> take the extra capabilities out, from the ncurses terminfo file.
>

>> On the other hand: From what i have seen when i deleted the two
>> capabilities from the terminfo file, it doesn't matter to ncurses
>> applications whether the two affected capabilities are present or not.
>> ncurses just falls back to other capabilities for cursor positioning.
>>
>> So why not just drop the capabilities?
>
> and sounds like you agree also.

Yep, I see no harm in doing so.

> Perhaps you could specify which ones you dropped to fix things, for the
> benefit of the current (in progress) ncurses maintainer

The capabilities were HPA and VPA (horizontal and vertical absolute
positioning).

$ TERM=xterm TERMINFO=/opt/csw/share/terminfo infocmp -1 | ggrep '[hv]pa'
        hpa=\E[%i%p1%dG,
        vpa=\E[%i%p1%dd,

Details and ncurses behaviour after i deleted vpa are documented in the
bug that i had filed against mutt [1].

Sebastian

[1] http://opencsw.org/bugtrack/view.php?id=2942.