[csw-maintainers] Press release

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Tue Jan 13 16:59:47 CET 2009

Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Am 13.01.2009 um 12:56 schrieb Ihsan Dogan:
>> Am 12.1.2009 20:50 Uhr, William Bonnet schrieb:
>>> In Zurich we talked about releasing a press communicate to announce
>>> the
>>> creation of the association.
>>>
>>> Wednesday in Paris there is meeting with Simon Pheeps. I don't know
>>> what
>>> is the current statut of the communication, but it would be certainly
>>> good to release tomorrow. So it will be only 24 hours old for the
>>> meeting (maybe he will have heard of it, and not yet forgotten ;) ).
>>>
>>> Sorry for the short delay, i forgot to send this email.
>> Othmar Wigger made a press release.
>> Dago, do yo still have the press release?
>
> Yes, but unfortunately it is in German and I am on training right
> now :-(
> Anyway, here it is, maybe someone can translate today:
>
> [...]

I just saw Othmars translation come in. As i was just finished with
mine, i might as well send it also. Maybe makes it easier for the one
fitting the pieces together.

Translation:

For the first time in its 7 year history, members of the OpenCSW
community gathered for a miniconf in Effretikon, Zurich (Switzerland) on
December 6th 2008. Attendees were happy to welcome Phil Brown, founder
of the Community Software effort, as well as fellow maintainers from
different parts of Europe.

With the Blastwave/OpenCSW split in mind, which had put packaging
efforts on hold over months, the main purpose of the meeting was to work
out ways to avoid such situations in the future and settle on the
direction the project should be heading to in the future.

Since its beginning the intention of Blastwave/CSW was to provide free
software for the Solaris Operating Environment in a user-friendly way.

Today the OpenCSW project has 1600 software packages in its catalogs and
counts close to 2 million users worldwide. The project is run by
volunteers and provides its packages free of charge to everyone.

As a result of the miniconf the "Open Community Software (OpenCSW)
Project" was founded as an official association according to Swiss
jurisdiction. The purpose of the association is to ensure the
availability of the free, community-based software distribution known as
OpenCSW. Its bylaws embody the core principles.

Contributors are welcome to join the association, as are new package
maintainers. The association works free of charge and is not geared
towards making profit. Philip Brown, Ihsan Dogan, and Dagobert Michelsen
were voted on the board of the found association by the founding
association members.

Sebastian