[csw-maintainers] Thematics month proposal

William Bonnet william at wbonnet.net
Thu Jan 15 22:32:39 CET 2009

Hi,

Since OpenCSW is a pretty young project, if we consider the point of
view of the new organization, website, tools, buildfarm, etc. there are
a lot of things to do, to improve or to update.

We will have to work of this different things, and we need some minimum
coordination of effort. I was wondering about a way to make things
happen and happen faster and to optimize effort. What about creating
thematic months ?

The proposal is to focus for a given month on a specific subject. Of
course it does not mean that other subject cannot be processed or should
not. It does not mean that it has to be mandatory. But it could help to
define a roadmap, and create some motivation to work on given subject.

For instance themes could be (just an example...)

February : communication

   goal is to improve web site, add content, write presentation of the
project and tools (, slides, etc. to produce all the material we will
need to make presentation, improve google rank, communicate with Sun and
other corporates, create links and relation with other open source
project etc.)

March : move package to GAR

   Kind of hacking session. Goal is to add to gar as much as possible of
existing packages. This will  go through maintainer training on how to
use gar, to write and produce howto and tutorials (if needed because
Dago already did a lot to create documentation)

April : Package update

   Goal is to move to up to date version of as much as possible of
existing packages

May : Bug hunting

   Goal is to fix and close as many as possible of bugs and entries in
mantis

June :     Continus integration

   Goal is to add to continuus integration as much as possible of
existing package

July :      Build world

   Goal is to setup a procedure that will be used to rebuild every
packages from an blank environment.

August : Summer camp

September :     Mass porting and package creation

   Goal is to create as much as possible new packages. This include
creating and processing requested package list, etc.

October :     To be defined

November :     To be defined

December :     General meeting !

Once we will have a frozen theme list and roadmap, this should be of
course published on the web site and made publicly available.

What about the idea ?

Feedback welcomed !

cheers

--