[csw-maintainers] The release process: a write-up

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Mon Jan 19 01:11:55 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:52 AM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
>  Beyond that, I run a catalog update script and sign it.
>  Peter is already INTIMATELY familiar with this step, since he decided to
>  write his own utility to do exactly the same thing for blastwave.

That's just not true. I wrote a simple catalog building script which
everyone can use. Dennis tried it but I have no idea if he's going to
use it regularly or not, he hasn't so far. It has nothing to do with
signing and creating mirror content. Dennis was doing fine before I
did my script which was meant for local users.

> Peter knows this already. It seems like this fuss is really all about
> him not liking to get MY approval for HIS packages, and he wants to go
> through someone else, or better yet, not have to go through anyone
> to double-check his work.

Actually I didn't know most of that already but thanks for sharing it.
Maybe you would be so kind as to write it on the wiki or on the main
site?

What I have suggested, not that you seem to care what I actually say
when replying, is that I want a group of people handling the release
process. We shouldn't e-mail your personal address and be kept in the
dark until you decide to reply.

What you have against a web app for tracking the testing/release
process baffles me. We could create a ticket there, mark our testing
already done, others can check in their testing of the package, the
release group can assign the packet to one of them and the rest will
know that. Not only will maintainers know better what is and is not
happening with their packages, I think it will encourage testing as
well.

--
/peter