[csw-maintainers] testing team for packages

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Wed Jan 21 09:45:14 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 2:50 AM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
> a side note: maintainers already tend to "know what is happening" with
> their packages already. Often within a few hours; usually within a day.

I wasn't talking about only the maintainer who owns the package,
having a closed release process is part of our testing problem. By
having a system that is easily available more people may see the need
for testing and be willing to commit to a missing part.

But as usual you paint a black and white scenario where it's no point
in even trying to improve stuff.

> As a frame of reference, I spend somewhere between 1-5 hours a week, EVERY
> WEEK, just looking at, and releasing packages.
>
> Testing, is going to take probably more time than that.
> Anyone want to commit to that kind of time, every week?

My main reason for this is not some kind of personal gain as you have
tried to convince others, but to make the community grow and be ready
for that. It would mean even more packages that would need to be
handled by you alone. You will not be able to keep reasonable times
and quality.

By sharing, the load would be less on all, including you, and times
would be kept even if one is on vacation for example. That is, if
you're ready to use your six years of experience doing this to teach
others. That would be a good thing for all.

--
/peter