[csw-maintainers] [csw-buildfarm] FYI: Temporarily deactivation .la-files

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Jan 22 18:47:32 CET 2009

Hi Peter,

Am 22.01.2009 um 18:30 schrieb Peter FELECAN:
> Eric J Korpela <korpela at opencsw.org> writes:
>> In some cases I'm having the opposite problem because of missing
>> dependencies that were supposed to be in the .la files of packages
>> where the .la files were not installed.
>>
>> Shouldn't problems in .la files be reported as bugs to the package
>> maintainers?  If a package includes them it's up the the maintainers
>> to see that they are correct, no?
>
> Indeed, the .la files *are* useful and not having them is a pain... If
> the paths in the .la files are incorrect it *is* a bug and *must* be
> corrected.

The reason for officially banning .la-files in new packages is that
you can get in a situation where you cannot build a software when
an old version is installed because libtool picks up the old files
and links against the old libs.

> BTW, moving the .la files as you have done can be disruptive for
> activities of other maintainers and, IMHO should be done on a test
> system.

I am really sorry for that. I'll undo my changes in an hour and promise
to keep away from using misusing my root powers again *-)