[csw-maintainers] FYI: Temporarily deactivation .la-files

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Jan 22 19:07:25 CET 2009

Hi Peter,

Am 22.01.2009 um 18:54 schrieb Peter FELECAN:
> Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:
>> The reason for officially banning .la-files in new packages is that
>> you can get in a situation where you cannot build a software when
>> an old version is installed because libtool picks up the old files
>> and links against the old libs.
>
> There is no way to prohibit the usage of the old, installed .la
> files when building the new package? It seems to me a less brutal
> approach.

If you know one than I would be really interested to hear it.
This is the answer I got from Bruno Haible, a GNU maintainer
for libiconv and a dozen other packages when I asked him about
the problem:

Am 11.04.2008 um 13:13 schrieb Bruno Haible:
> This is a known problem with libtool and DESTDIR installations.
> On some systems you simply cannot create an executable that should
> link to /opt/csw/lib/libiconv.so if the library is not yet there.
> On the other systems, libtool could do a bit better when you ask
> to link with /tmp/pkgdir/opt/csw/lib/libiconv.la (it could use
> /tmp/pkgdir/opt/csw/lib/libiconv.so).
>
> So, in general, I recommend to do first the "make install" and then
> only
> "make install DESTDIR=..."

Using /tmp for temp linking spoils other config files like pkgconfig,
so I figured removing .la-files at all will help here.