[csw-maintainers] Status of the suggestions

Trygve Laugstøl trygvis at opencsw.org
Thu Jan 22 21:40:34 CET 2009

Peter Bonivart wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> I added the current status to
>>   http://wiki.opencsw.org/suggestions
>>
>> Feel free to comment on the status or to request improvements ;-)
>
> The maintainer suggestion status is "done", referring to a blank page.
> It will be interesting to read its future content. ;-)
>
> Another thing is the done status for "equal status between install
> tools". You refer to your testing page but that is the only page that
> even mentions pkgutil. Everywhere on the main site (home, packages,
> mirror and so on) it's only pkg-get and on the mirror roots only
> pkg-get is available for new users, the README file there also only
> mention pkg-get.

To be honest I don't see why we need two tools that does the same job.
It will only be confuing to users as they won't know which tool to know,
in particular if they have the same set of features.

As it is now pkgutil can't replace pkg-get (try running pkgutil update
on a box with more than one outdated dependency). When pkgutil is
generally useful in *all* cases, I wouldn't mind a discussion.

--
Trygve