[csw-maintainers] submitting a package and "communication" issues

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Tue Jan 27 17:51:16 CET 2009

Here is a story which shows an additional reason to have a better
"communication":

I'm a CSW maintainer since a few years. Not really active since some time
but considering to submit some updated packages.

In the "old world" I copied the packages to /export/newpkgs and sent a
mail to Phil. In the "new world", on the only relevant page of our site,
http://www.opencsw.org/standards/pkg-walkthrough, I read that I must
"copy your finished packages to /home/newpkgs on www.opencsw.org".

Being connected on login.opencsw.org I try to scp the package but I'm
asked for a password. What password? I supplied many time my public key
and I'm expecting to be authorized to release a package.

I searched also the maintainers mailing list. Phil explains how to
submit a package. But there is not a word about authorization. The only
reference is a request by another maintainer in the same situation as
mine. Again, no reference to an authorization procedure.

Is there a kind soul who can explain the whole process, with an example,
please?

Maybe that before addressing the issue of communication toward the users
we should enhance the one destined to the maintainers.
--
Peter