[csw-maintainers] .la discussion

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Jan 28 18:22:25 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:10:47AM -0600, Chad Harp wrote:
> > there are "only" 10 packages with .la files on the build farm.
> > So, it's not THAT much work, I would think.
>
> harpchad at build8s (CSW)$ ls -1 /opt/csw/lib/*.la | wc -l
>       231

oh. nuts.
I did it on "login", not on "buildxxx"  :-}

Well, I'd say there are two "clean" ways to handle this.
One is less work, and less clean to outside, but clean to US.
Other is a lot more work, but clean to everyone.

"clean to us":  ssh buildX && rm /opt/csw/lib/lib*.la

"clean to outside":
  make a list of all packages that have .la files, and graph em as
  dependancies, and then start prodding the appropriate people
  to repackage them starting at "leaf nodes" in the graph.

  Note: It's no good just doing a one-time repackage. we need to make sure
  that the maintainers build it "the next time" without .la files too.