[csw-maintainers] .la discussion

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Jan 28 18:43:01 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:25:46AM -0600, Chad Harp wrote:
> Philip Brown wrote:
> > "clean to outside":
> >   make a list of all packages that have .la files, and graph em as
> >   dependancies, and then start prodding the appropriate people
> >   to repackage them starting at "leaf nodes" in the graph.
> >
> >   Note: It's no good just doing a one-time repackage. we need to make sure
> >   that the maintainers build it "the next time" without .la files too.
>
> Why not do both?  The "clean to us" would allow our maintainers to
> continue building their packages while we take care of the "clean to
> outside".

you kinda missed the point of "clean to outside".

If we are trying to remain "clean to outside", that means that "outside"
people will be able to build easily on top of our published packages,
without getting TOO messed up with .la missing linkages.

The only way that can happen, is if we rebuild packages in a deterministic
manner, working from the "leaf nodes" inward.

If we just rm all the .la files, then we will effectively be clearing
things for random package rebuilds, which will break the "clean to outside"
paradigm".