[csw-maintainers] libpango 1.24 Problems ?

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Jul 3 13:42:45 CEST 2009

Hi Nicolai,

Am 03.07.2009 um 10:40 schrieb Nicolai Schwindt:
>> if not please run
>>
>> /opt/csw/bin/pango-querymodules > /opt/csw/etc/pango/pango.modules
>
> Did that - file was created successfull - did not change anything.
>
>> This issue is under fixing...
>
> The problem is : I am running on an U24 which is 64-bit this triggers
> pango-querymodules to generate a list of the 64-bit modules.
> Starting xfce which is only available as 32-bit loads libpango in 32-
> bit.
> This one falls flat on the face.

Ok, there is obiously an error in the package creation:
   /opt/csw/bin/pango-querymodules
is linked to isaexec and chooses the best ISA. This is wrong for this
kind of use. The isaexec should be removed and there should be two
binaries:
   /opt/csw/bin/pango-querymodules for 32 bit
   /opt/csw/bin/(sparcv9|amd64)/pango-querymodules for 64 bit
You can try this right now with
   rm /opt/csw/bin/pango-querymodules
   ln -s /opt/csw/bin/sparcv8/pango-querymodules /opt/csw/bin/pango-
querymodules
Please tell me if that worked.

> It seems there is the need for separate pangorc files containing the
> correct
> definition of ModulesFiles and AliasFiles.

We may need /opt/csw/etc/64/pango for this

> This implies each and every other package that uses pango must have
> both
> 32 and 64 bit versions.

Why is that? A 32 bit app needs to pull in 32 bit libs and 64 bit apps
pull in 64 bit libs, but why should both ISAs be needed?

> The other solution was having a wrapper for each
> executable setting the correct environment.
>
> I did not look into the source of pango for a while, is there any
> chance
> of patching pango to hardcode PANGO_RC_FILE=/opt/csw/etc/
> pangorc{32,64} into
> it ?

Is this really necessary on a per-app basis? Can't this be patched
into pango itself?

> BTW: afaik pixbuf-loader is the same pain in the arse

William, any advice on this?