[csw-maintainers] libiconv and --fast --xnolibmopt, ./configure hangs at "checking for stdbool.h that conforms to C99"

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Jul 6 18:11:51 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 05:34:51PM +0200, Sebastian Kayser wrote:
> Trussing the acomp shows a myriad of brk()s and the process hogs
> memory like there is no tomorrow.
>
>    PID USERNAME  SIZE   RSS STATE  PRI NICE      TIME  CPU PROCESS/NLWP
>  29072 skayser   684M  670M cpu13   30    0   0:01.23 3.1% acomp/1

yes. this is known behaviour of cc.
(although I havent seen it with libiconv specifically)

certain obscure optimization cases, explode, so to speak, taking extreme
memory usage and disk space for it to "traverse the problem space", if you
will.

Your choices are:

a) wait for a long time, and it will eventually complete, if the machine
doesnt run out of resources

b) reduce the optimization flags to -xO2 or -xO3