[csw-maintainers] "pkgconfig --exist ..." is telling porkies

Mike Watters mwatters at opencsw.org
Tue Jul 7 22:01:14 CEST 2009

James Lee wrote:
> On 07/07/09, 20:35:55, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote regarding Re:
> [csw-maintainers] "pkgconfig --exist ..." is telling porkies:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 07:25:56PM +0000, James Lee wrote:
>>> Anyone understand pkgconfig?  This looks easy but I'm blind as to why
>>> it's not working:
>>> $ /opt/csw/bin/pkg-config --libs 'gtk+-2.0'
>>> sh: gnome-config: not found
>>> Package xcb was not found in the pkg-config search path.
>>> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xcb.pc'
>>> to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
>>> Package 'xcb', required by 'cairo', not found
>
>> seems fairly clear: xcb isnt installed on build8s.
>
> Why does that clearly affect whether gtk+-2.0 exists which clearly
> it does.  Even truss doesn't show it looking for xcb.  OK then, too
> much time wasted, "if true" in the patch file for configure.
>

>> or at least the pkgconfig files for it arent installed.
>
>> or actually... they are installed in /opt/csw/X11/lib/pkgconfig
>
>> Methinks cairo needs to be rebuilt or something, to give the "new and
>> proper" path to it or something. but otherwise, perhaps you can add that
>> dir to your pkgconfig path as first.
>
> Which package needs the bug report?  Gtk+-2.0, cairo, xcb or pkgconfig?

xcb and in fact all the "new" xlib packages have their PKG_CONFIG_PATH as
/opt/csw/X11/lib/pkgconfig

when doing anything that requires CSWx* packages you need to use something
along the lines of: EXTRA_PKG_CONFIG_DIRS = $(prefix)/X11/lib

I think pkg-config is walking down the dependency trail.  cairo is required for
gtk, but xcb is required for cairo. it couldn't find xcb so it quit instead of
spending an hour compiling just to die a horrible death when trying to link to
the missing xcb libraries.

- --

Thanks,
Mike

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex,
and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage --
to move in the opposite direction."

* Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955
    US German-born Theoretical Physicist