[csw-maintainers] setting apache2 cmdline options

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Jul 9 18:04:50 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 11:37:03AM -0400, Darin Perusich wrote:
>  After digging around for
> documentation on this, which is non-existent, I looked at the manifest
> and it only loads -DSSL if $APACHE_HOME/etc/server.crt exists. Well,
> what if that isn't were my certificate lives or is named?

then make a symlink from there to the real location?

> Yes I know I can remove the <IfDefine SSL> or touch server.crt but those
> are band-aids.
>
> What you peoples thoughts on this?

I think that using a package made and put together by someone else,
sometimes means that you need to follow someone else's conventions.
(ie: making the symlink).

and if you think there are better conventions for the maintainer to follow,
you should suggest it to them.

As far as #defines go for apache... I dont think they are meant to be used
like makefile defines, whereeever and however you want. They're mostly just
to be used as a convenience for if a module is defined, in my opinion.
The SSL thing is an oddity, and I've never liked how they have done that.
I think it should be handled more like the others. ie:

<IfModule ssl>

rather than
<IFDefine SSL>

but in the absense of that.. you need some external trigger to let the
startup script know, "hey, i want ssl enabled". and the presense of the
server key file, seems like a reasonable trigger to me.